Screenwriter Diablo Cody tells PEOPLE that she wishes for an updated version or sequel to the 2009 Megan Fox movie “Will Happen” soon. Diablo Cody’s latest project, Lisa Frankenstein, will air in theatres on February 9.
“I do believe that something will occur. And I’m looking forward to it,” she says. “However, it’s one of those things where you have to exert effort all the time. There is a lot of content available right now, and many individuals are attempting to recreate IP that already exists”, she continued.
“Even with the new appreciation for “Jennifer’s Body”, it’s sometimes hard in this industry where people just look at numbers,” says Cody about the movie, which did not do well at the box office when it was first released but has now become well-known and even considered a cult classic.
It was her eagerly awaited sequel to her Oscar-winning first picture, Juno.
‘But the movie didn’t do well,’ they say, which makes it difficult. And you say, “Yeah, but things have changed since then.” “So trust me,” adds 45-year-old Cody. “The Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie didn’t do well either, and then look at what the series did.”
Also Read: Second Season of “Severance” starts shooting
After Karyn Kusama’s film Jennifer’s Body didn’t get positive reviews at first, Cody says she believed she would never be able to return to the horror-comedy genre.
Nonetheless, the delayed affection for the film offered her the assurance to attempt again with Lisa Frankenstein, starring Kathryn Newton and Cole Sprouse and applying the similar adolescence horror genre.
Also Read: Niragi Alice in Borderland: The Game Of Life
“Jennifer’s Body was not a commercial success upon its release”, she shared. The Oscar-winning Juno writer tells PEOPLE, “And that was extremely painful for me because I admired that movie and it was such a special endeavor for me. I was badly injured.”